It all started with a TikTok, as things now often do. Some leftover white wine or post New Years celebratory champagne, a lemon, some parmesan cheese and you can easily whip up a quick decadent risotto, it said. So a girlfriend and I put it to the test. It surely can’t be that simple? Oh, but it is. Absolutely delicious, better than restaurant, lemony risotto. I highly suggest you give it a try.
- 7 cups of chicken broth
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cup arborio rice *do not rinse the rice*
- 1 1/2 cups champagne or white wine
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Fresh herbs or arugula to garnish
- In a medium stock pot, add the broth and bring it to a low simmer
- In a large stock pot, add the butter. Once melted add the onion and 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt and sauté for 6-8 minutes, until the onion is translucent
- Add in the unwashed risotto, stir well. Add in the champagne or white wine, bringing the heat to medium-high, stirring until the liquid has evaporated
- Add in 3/4 cup of hot broth, gently stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. You’ll repeat this until all the liquid has been added and absorbed. Be gentle with your stirring as the rice will become tender and creamy. This will take a little patience and time.
- Turn off the heat, add in the cheese, lemon zest and lemon juice. Gently fold it all together. Taste, and adjust for salt and fresh pepper.
- I personally loved this with a handful of fresh baby arugula over top, but you can also pair it with fresh chives or finely diced fresh mint.
Recipe: Antoni from Queer Eye, but also TikTok