Autumn is my absolute favorite season. All of my favorite things come into play during this time: apples and pears, cinnamon and maple syrup, pumpkin and winter squash. Warm creamy risottos and delicious baked goods. Who could say no to any of that? This risotto will bring your kitchen into the spirit as the sweet and savory goodness of pumpkin wraps you in an Autumn hug.
1 tablespoon avocado or coconut oil
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 cups arborio rice
2 teaspoons pink Himilaysean salt
1 cup coconut milk*
1 can organic pumpkin
6 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar*
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Pumpkin Pie Spice
This risotto can be elevated by swapping the coconut milk for 1 cup of white wine. If you do so, omit the apple cider vinegar. I made modifications to the original recipe which used wine when I eliminated alcohol from my diet. The coconut milk does make it super creamy and delicious so you won’t miss the wine in the first place, but to each her own!
- In a large pot over medium heat add the oil, once hot, sauce the onion until translucent.
- Add in the garlic and continue to saute for another two minutes.
- Stir in the rice and salt, stirring for a minute to thoroughly coat the rice in the onion, garlic and oil mixture.
- Add in the coconut milk (or wine – see notes)
- Bring to a low boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to a high simmer, and little by little add in broth and pumpkin, 1/2 a cup at a time – stirring to fully incorporate. This process will take about 40 minutes. You can step away for a few minutes, come back, add more broth and stir, repeating this until the rice is plump and the liquid has been absorbed and reduced into a creamy base.
- Stir in the apple cider vinegar and pumpkin pie space.
- Spoon into bowls, top with chives, a drizzle of maple syrup, and finishing salt to your liking.