I want you to imagine yourself off the coast of Italy. Got it? Ok, now close your eyes and feel the cool breeze gently on your face as the warm aroma of your freshly made pasta is placed in front of you. You open your eyes and the most handsome waiter is standing there, shirtle – …ok I got a little carried away there. But you get the point. Here’s my favorite recipe for an authentic Italian pasta that will bring you straight out of quarantine and right on the coast of Italy (6 feet away from anyone of course).
This pasta is extraordinarily easy to make and takes almost no time to put together. The flavor profile is so vast that you’ll have people fooled into thinking this was simmering for hours. As my dad says… Mangia! (let’s eat!).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, butter or avocado oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2oz) tin of anchovy filets in olive oil, diced finely
- 1/4 – 1/3 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, depending on your spice preference
- 1-28oz can of diced tomatoes in tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons capers, diced
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, diced
- Brown Rice Spaghetti, or organic wheat spaghetti if preferred
Chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare all ingredients, this recipe moves fast!
- Add the oil to the pan, once hot add the garlic, crushed anchovies and red pepper flakes – sauté for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the tomato juice, diced capers and diced olives to the pan – bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.
- Boil a pot of water for the pasta – cook pasta al dente (I usually do 2 minute less than package instructions as it will finish cooking in the pasta sauce)
- Drain pasta and add back to pot. Pour the sauce into the pasta pot. Using tongs, toss to incorporate and continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Serve with a generous amount of fresh parsley over top.
Photo by Canva