Miso soup is a favorite of mine. Something about that tangy savory broth and soft bites of tofu have me swoon. I never knew just how simple it was to make until recently. For some reason I’ve just been really craving it, so I did a bit of research, watched a few TikToks and felt confident that this was something I could easily whip up. Turns out it’s the perfect soup – protein rich, great for the gut and you can literally make it from start to finish in 15 minutes. Count me in!
- Bonito flakes, 1 cup (like these)
- Nori Sheets (like these)
- 7 cups water
- 5 TBSP red miso paste (like this)
- 1 box of organic silken tofu
- Green onions
- Add the water to a large stock pot along with the bonito flakes. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for for 6 minutes.
- Add in one sheet of nori and continue to simmer for 4 minutes.
- Strain the broth and discard the nori and bonito flakes
- Add the strained broth back into the stock pot and continue to simmer
- Remove one cup of broth and put it in a small bowl, whisk in the miso paste. Once fully dissolved add this to the simmering broth
- Gently dice the silken tofu into small cubes, add to the simmering broth for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjustment for flavor. If it’s too mild, add another scoop of miso. If it’s too strong, dilute with a little water.
- Take two nori sheets and rip into bite sized pieces, adding them to the broth. Stir and immediately serve with a generous sprinkle of sliced green onions