You know that clear broth with mushrooms that is served to you at Japanese and hibachi style restaurants? This is that, only better of course. It’s delicious and nourishing, perfect for an upset tummy or when you’re feeling run down and need some extra nourishment. This is a fantastic soup to consume when you’re pre-menstrual or postpartum.
- 1 TBSP of butter
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, skin removed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chicken stock (you can also substitute all chicken stock or all vegetable broth, depending on preference)
- 1 teaspoons roasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Bragg’s liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 8oz of your favorite mixed mushrooms, sliced (I used a mix of shiitake, maitake and oyster mushrooms)
- Salt to taste
- Scallions and cilantro to garnish
- In a large stock pot add butter, once melted add the sliced onions and ginger, sauté until the onions are translucent. Add in garlic, sauté for another minute.
- Add in vegetable broth and chicken stock, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Remove ginger chunk and discard.
- Stir in the sesame oil and liquid aminos
- Add in the mushrooms and continue to simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- Serve with scallions and cilantro.