Hot Cocoa and the holiday season go hand and hand. There is just something magical about the pair. I don’t think there is anything like watching the snow fall outside your window with a delicious mug of cocoa in your hand. But traditional hot cocoa can be a trap! It’s often hidden with refined sugars, chemical sweeteners, binding agents and artificial flavorings. Instead lets indulge in this Healthy Holiday Hot Cocoa this season!
- 2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk*, I prefer Almond or Cashew
- 3 tablespoons fair trade* cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon unrefined coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons pure organic maple syrup
Jazz Up Your Cocoa with any of the following:
- 1/3 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 drops Food-Grade Peppermint Essential Oil*
- A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg, to your liking
- In a magic bullet or blender add the plant-based milk, cocoa powder, coconut oil, maple syrup and any additional flavorings such as the ones mentioned above – blend until smooth.
- Simmer in a saucepot on the stove until desired temperature is reached
Makes 2 servings, original recipe
The unsweetened nut milk (like almond or cashew) definitely is the most delicious option, however it’s not always easy to find a ‘clean’ nut milk. If you’re able to find unsweetened nut milk at your grocery store that contains just nuts, filtered water and maybe a dash of salt- that would be a great option! Otherwise, be diligent with reading labels and pick the one with the least amount of additives and binding agents.
Fair Trade chocolate means that cacao farmers are paid a fair price, that they are able to invest in their communities and land, and that their farms are free of forced child labor. By choosing Fair Trade chocolate, you support a system that is better for farmers, their families and the planet
I use Young Living for essential oils as they are the only essential oil company with an essential oil supplement line, Vitality, that is intended specifically for dietary supplement and culinary use. Learn more.