This farro salad is a delicious and easy to make meal that can be enjoyed during the heat of Spring and Summer. I love it because each bite is different, bursting with delicious combinations of flavors and herbs. Farro is one of my favorite ancient grains as it has this really nutty flavor and a good bite to it when cooked properly. I’ve been craving flavor, especially with being on quarantine lock down, so this really hit the spot!
2 cups uncooked farro (quinoa can also be used if you’re gluten free)
1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup cucumber, cut into cubes
1 cup bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
1 apple, cubed
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup dried fruit (I use a blend of golden raisins, cranberries, blueberries and cherries)1/4 cup kalamata olives, diced
1/4 cup pistachio
3 TBSP fresh basil, diced3 TBSP fresh mint, diced
Equal parts extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pure maple syrup. Add to a clean jar, shake before using. Store at room temperature.
- Cook the farro according to package instructions. Once cooked and strained, place the farro in a large bowl and allow it to come to room temperate as you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Halve the tomatoes, cube the cucumber, dice the bell pepper, thinly slice the onion and cube the apple. Add all prepped produce into the bowl with the farro.
- Add the remaining ingredients: the feta, dried fruit, olives, pistachio and herbs. Toss to incorporate all the ingredients together.
- Add 1/3 cup of dressing over top, mix well, taste and adjust as desired.
- Serve chilled or room temperate