It’s been so dry this past month, we desperately needed the rain. Then out of nowhere the skies opened up for us, glorious rain storms, thick dark clouds dripping with fat droplets and a symphony of frogs to sing their gratitude. This weather is so peaceful. It makes me want to turn inward and reflect, cuddle up and just be. This weather brings about a certain nostalgia, one of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. What is it about tomato soup and the rain? They’re simply the perfect pair.
4.5 pounds roma or plum tomatoes
1 yellow onion
12 garlic cloves, peeled
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 can coconut milk
3 cups vegetable broth
2 TBSP tomato paste
1-2 TSP garam masala spice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Quarter the onion
- In an oven safe dish add a little avocado oil to the bottom. Then add the onion chunks and whole garlic cloves. Bake for 40 minutes with an oven safe lid or foil over top. Remove from oven and allow to cool. While the garlic and onion are roasting continue with the below steps.
- Quarter the tomatoes. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. In a single layer, divide the tomato quarters onto two large glass baking dishes that has been greased with a little avocado oil. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- In a large stock pot combine the cooked onion, garlic, roasted tomatoes and their juices, coconut milk, broth, tomato paste and garam masala. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Using an immersion stick, blend until smooth.
- Simmer for 30 minutes before serving.
Recommended Kitchen Aids:
Recipe source unknown
Photo by Canva