This delicious soup is the ultimate cold buster! It’s best enjoyed when you’re experiencing cold symptoms, are feeling run down, or if you need some immune support. The garlic and ginger in this soup are warming in nature and antimicrobial so it can help warm your body and fight pathogen!
Refined avocado oil, coconut oil or ghee
52 garlic cloves (about 5-6 bulbs of garlic), divided
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder, optional depending on heat preference
2 tablespoons ginger, chopped (you can substitute fresh for the ginger in a tube in the produce section)
1 large or two small onions, chopped (if you purchase pre-cut onions we’re looking for about 2 big cups of chopped onions)
4 cups organic vegetable broth or chicken stock
1/2 cup unsweetened plant based milk
Lemon wedges, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a small glass dish add 26 pieces of unpeeled garlic cloves drizzled with the olive oil and a sprinkle of salt, bake covered in the oven for 45 minutes. If your dish doesn’t have a lid you can use foil. If you’re using pre-peeled garlic, follow the same instructions.
- Prep the remaining ingredients: chop the onion, dice the ginger, add to a large bowl along with the spices.
- Prep the remaining garlic cloves – peel 26 raw garlic cloves and place in a separate bowl.
- Once the roasted garlic is done, allow to cool before squeezing 26 garlic cloves from their skin. Place in the bowl with the raw garlic.
- In a stock pot over medium heat add two tablespoons of oil, once hot sauté the onions, ginger and spices for 6 minutes.
- Add in the raw garlic cloves and the roasted garlic cloves, sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add in the plant based milk. Using an immersion stick blend until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, allow to cool before transferring to a blender and blending until smooth.
- Ladle the soup into four bowls, squeezing one wedge of lemon into each bowl.
Recipe source unknown