I don’t know what it is about a rice crispy treat but I have to say, I absolutely love them. A few years ago when I was going through some major histamine intolerance issues post surgery this was one of the recipes I was able to eat without a reaction. Because of that it quickly became a weekly ‘safe food’ for me until I could expand my diet and tolerate other foods. Histamine intolerance or not, this is a recipe that anyone will adore if they are a true rice crispy treat lover like myself. It’s a healthier spin on a childhood classic but guaranteed to please even the pickiest of eaters.
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 2/3 cup cashew butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 4 cups organic puffed rice cereal (confirm on ingredients list that there is no sugar added)
- In a large bowl combine the honey, cashew butter, vanilla and salt – mix until completely incorporated
- Add in rice cereal, mix with a spatula until well combined
- Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper, then pour mixture into the dish. Press the mixture down into the pan to evenly distribute everything
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour until the bars have hardened. Remove, cut into squares and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge
Recipe modified from Medical Medium, Photo from Canva