This soup is brimming with cabbage ribbons, fresh herbs, barley and beans. It is a nourishing soup that hits all the right notes. I used to call this my stormy day soup because I’d want a big warm bowl of this while cuddled up on the couch as I watch the rain pour down. But lately it hasn’t been raining, and I still find myself craving this.
Cabbage is super vegetable which supports detoxification! It is high in glutathione (which is crucial for our body’s daily detoxification functions) and L-Glutamine (which boosts immune cell activity in the gut).
1 tbsp butter or avocado oil
1 onion, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
5 carrots, diced
3 garlic cloves, smashed
4 red potatoes, peeled and cubed
8 cups of broth (I used my broth concentrate + water)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/3 teaspoon tumeric
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamon
3 TBSP fresh dill, chopped
1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
3/4 cup dried barley
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups cooked cannellini or pinto beans (canned if necessarily, dried are best – cook in pressure cooker or pot before using in this recipe)
Feta cheese crumbles
- In a large stock pot a the butter or avocado oil, sautés the onions, celery and carrots for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauce for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes, broth, spices and dill – bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the sliced cabbage and dried barley – simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the fresh parsley and beans, simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Serve garnished with feta crumbles and sliced scallions
Original Recipe, Original Photo
Makes 4 large bowls